Clearwater Paper Corporation has released its 2023 Sustainability Report, an annual update on the company’s progress against its multi-year sustainability goals. The report also announces Clearwater Paper’s new strategic sustainability framework, Everyday Responsibility. This forward-looking strategy centers the company’s sustainability work and initiatives on three distinct pillars: Resource Stewardship, Trusted Products, and Thriving People and Communities.
“Our new strategic sustainability framework reflects our unwavering commitment to Everyday Responsibility, which aligns with Clearwater Paper’s core values, sustainability goals and business objectives,” said Arsen Kitch, president and chief executive officer. “It serves to guide our present and future actions and helps us communicate with our stakeholders more effectively. Together, we will continue to be a company that customers are excited to partner with, our employees are proud to work for and that our communities can count on.”
In 2022, the company introduced multi-year goals around emissions reductions, resource conservation and company representation. This year’s report, covering the calendar year 2022, shares progress the company has made to date as well as impactful stories from within the company that exemplify Clearwater Paper’s commitment to Everyday Responsibility. Key highlights include:
- Strengthening our commitment to greenhouse gas (GHG) reductions by validating our Scope 1 & 2 and Scope 3 emissions targets with the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi).
- Successfully commercializing NuVo® with BioPBS™, a revolutionary cup stock that combines a compostable barrier with a high-definition print surface — the latest example of a Clearwater Paper product that meets the highest quality standards, yet leaves a smaller environmental footprint.
- Making significant strides in fostering inclusivity, diversity and collaboration among our people, including increasing underrepresented groups in our workforce, enhancing policies and benefits and supporting employee well-being and engagement.
- Reducing safety risk by 26% by implementing proactive safety controls and maintaining a safety-first culture.
- Conducting a new materiality assessment that provides valuable insights to pave the way for future priorities, goals and initiatives.
Clearwater Paper is a premier supplier of private brand tissue to major retailers, including grocery, club, mass merchants, and discount stores. In addition, the company produces bleached paperboard used by quality-conscious printers and packaging converters, and offers services that include custom sheeting, slitting, and cutting.